Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Sorry for the Inconveniance

Before I came to Uganda I was forewarned that the power frequently goes off. In the States such occurrences happen rarely and usually during a storm or some freak mistake by the power company. In Uganda the government randomly shuts the power off in an effort to conserve energy I suppose. There is never any set time the power will stay off either. It may be two hours and it may be all night. One moment I am blow-drying my hair and the next I am putting it in a pony tail because I could not complete the task.



Living in Uganda is not like living in the States in which there are street lamps and neighboring houses with lights. Thus when the power is shut off, the darkness is a complete blackout leaving no room no maneuver other than ones trusty sense of feel or lack there of in my case. Once it is shut off there is the task of stumbling to the next room to find candles or other like items that might help. It is especially inconvenient when it is shut off while getting ready to go out per say. Luckily however, I was warned and brought my trusty head lamp; that of which has served as a companion.

No comments: