Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Don't Over Speed

While driving down a highway on Sunday I saw a billboard that read, “Don’t Over Speed.” Does the term speed not denote going over a limit already? Why then would anyone throw the term over in if speed is already there? Don't speed should be sufficiant. It sounds a little like “its ok to speed as long as you don’t over do it." What does over speed mean if one is already speeding? Where is the cap?

The sign made me chuckle a little being that I have never really even seen a speed limit sign in Uganda. I wondered to myself whom was the advertising company placing this billboard? I would have taken a picture of it but did not have my camera with me.

I realize this is not a blog of great substance or length, but I had to write it. I’m no grammar guru by any means as evident from this blog. I do know however, that two words placed together signifying the same thing (that of which I’m pretty sure over speed does) is not correct. I would expect an advertising company to realize that before placing the billboard. Just so everyone remembers though, “Don’t Over Speed!”

No comments: