Monday, August 30, 2010

Life is Great

I have been in Ukraine for just about five months. My daily routines are starting to set in. The shock of the complicated transportation system is weaning. Not hearing anyone speak English for weeks at a time has become a norm. Walking 2 miles in a day just to get home is not a big deal. Every once and a while though, a moment of clarity encompasses me, and I remember that I am living in a village of less than 600 people in Ukraine and I have to say that it is pretty fucking cool.

I don’t really know what I want to do when I get out of Peace Corps. The opportunities are endless and I revel in that fact. I’m ok with not having a set plan at the moment. My whole life has been a whirlwind of maybe’s, last minute adventures, and doing a ton or random things. I have intentionally planned my life around the ability to be unpredictable and I can honestly say that I love my life. This isn’t to say I don’t have my rants, upsets, and improvements to be made, but overall I have had some pretty awesome experiences and met some pretty cool people along the way and I wouldn’t trade any of them for anything.

Caveat, I had a bit of a nostalgic moment today. They are frequent these days as I have a lot of time to think and ponder. Sometimes I get in the mode of I need to do more, I need to plan, and I haven’t done enough. I need to step back and realize that I have actually done a tone and experienced so many things that many people never will. I have friends all over the globe, I have swam in the Amazon and Nile river, I have seen lions in the wild, I have taught classes on gender empowerment in Russian to kids who have never met an American in their lives. I have worked countless hours for causes that I believe in and have seen tangible changes occur. What I am getting at I suppose, is I love life and I am really excited to continue having experiences throughout life. I am particularly grateful that I have been able to have these experiences and meet the people I have. So for those very few people that read this, I hope that you love life and if you don’t change what is missing so that you do!

1 comment:

Naomi said...

I love your blog, Jess. I know how you feel about loving life, but sometimes getting down on yourself because you haven't done as much as you planned or whatever. I love my life, but sometimes I have my moments. I look at your life and think what you're doing is awesome. It's comforting to know that the people you look up to or admire have their moments too. ;)